The University of Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults has long been recognised as a first-class introduction to the English teaching profession. It assumes no previous experience of teaching. The qualification gives you:
- World-wide recognition as a qualified English Language Teacher, by the British Council and International teaching organisations
- Knowledge of the English language:its grammar, phonology and lexis
- Up-to-date methodology of language teaching to adults (i.e. age 16+)
Who can apply?
- have either a degree or standard of education which would permit entry to higher education
- have a good standard of written and spoken English
- be 20 or over. However, candidates between 18 and 20 can be accepted at our discretion
- hold the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency or equivalent (requirement for non-native speakers only)
- complete a language awareness module provided by Language Link before starting the course.
FULL-TIME: 4 weeks of intensive study Monday - Friday 9.30 - 5.00 pm
This course is intended for those wishing to gain their teaching qualification within a short period of time.
PART-TIME: 12 weeks. Tuesday and Thursday evenings (6.15 - 9.30 pm) and 6 Saturdays (10.00 - 4.30).
This course is intended for those preferring an extended period of study or wishing to continue working while they follow a course. This is an ideal way to gain a teaching qualification in a relatively short time, but without the severe pressure associated with the first type of the course.
Both course formats require considerable additional study and lesson planning outside course hours.
Course Content and Structure
- English grammatical structures and their use
- Modern teaching methods
- The teaching of pronunciation (phonology)
- A brief study of foreign language
- The teaching of lexis
- Error analysis and correction
- Classroom resources and textbooks
- The teaching of language skills
- Six hours of assessed teaching practice in small groups on classes of volunteer foreign students
- Feedback on teaching practice with tutor and colleagues
- Supervised preparation of lessons
- Six hours observations of experienced teachers
- Lesson from the classroom: A collation of what has been learned from taching practice and observations.
- Skills Assignments: A focus on receptive skills (reading and listening) and productive skills (speaking and writing).
- Focus on the Learner: A more detailed evaluation of one student's language abilities.
- Language Related Tasks: An analysis of language for teaching purposes.
Assessment is continuous and regular feedback on progress will be given during the course.
A 98% pass rate - careful selection procedures and a high quality course have given us an impressive pass rate.
Supportive tutors - our courses are trainee- centred, with approachable tutors who are always on hand to offer help and advice.
With Language Link you won't be lost in the crowd!!
We recruit over 200 teachers each academic year to fill posts in London schools and overseas locations. Posts are available troughout the year and Language Link gives priority placement to their own trainees. Language Link offers teachers a comprehensive employment and training package which allows them to get the most from their stay abroad. Local salaries are highly competitive, accommodation is included in the package and there is a generous paid holiday time within the nine-month contracts. Legal, tax and health costs are covered by our associate Educational Institutions.
For additional information please visit:
Language Link gives you the opportunity to spend your first year teaching in a supportive environment during which you have access to a training programme and a supportive network of senior teachers at national and international level. Ideas and materials are exchanged and local support groups are further enhanced by regular training visits from our London-based Teacher Training Team. This first year helps you to determine whether you are suited to the profession and wish to make it your career.
MAKING A CAREER IN TEACHING
For those wishing to make a career in TEFL, Language Link gives you a rare opportunity to progress from newly qualified teacher to more senior positions, including academic management positions.
Course dates and fees - 2015
Four week full-time course:
5-30 January 2015
2-27 February 2015
2-27 March 2015
30 March-24 April 2015
27 April-22 May 2015
26 May-20 June 2015
29 June-24 July 2015
27 July-21 August 2015
24 August- 18 September 2015
28 September-23 October 2015
26 October-20 November 2015
23 November-18 December 2015
Twelve week part-time course:
13 January-2 April 2015
28 April-16 July 2015
8 September-26 November 2015